Monday, February 20, 2006

Sex, please.
As in gender. I'm not sure what I would pay for a comprehensive list of the sex of various biblical scholars. This is particularly tough in three areas: foreign names (Wim J. C. Weren?), gender neutral names (Carey Newman, Robin Scroggs, Rikki Watts)--or a combination of the first two (Jan Bremmer; Lee, Kim, Jean); and first initial names (J. Massyngbyrde Ford comes to mind; first name "Jane," although she never wrote with it to my knowledge).

Anyone ever written a paper in a slightly awkward style so as not to reference an author's sex? I sure have.

4 Comments:

Blogger J. B. Hood said...

Mike,

Maybe you could work up one of your quizzes on this question? Instead of multiple choice or T/F, M/F??

8:09 PM, February 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rikki Watts is a Male. However if we are all equal then does it matter?

5:51 AM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger Chris Weimer said...

It doesn't matter in terms of evaluating their work, but it would be rather nice if we knew how to address them. Pronouns are, believe it or not, rather useful if you know the gender...

6:03 AM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger Michael Barber said...

This post was hilariously funny to me because I have often thought the same thing. ajs - thanks for the info on Rikki Watts - somehow I just assumed that was a woman's name (perhaps because of Steely Dan - Rikki, Don't Lose That Number). And, yes, I too have sometimes written papers in an awkward style to avoid revealing my ignorance.

6:23 PM, March 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home