Saturday, April 08, 2006

Music for Biblical Studies

I'll leave the classical stuff for Jim West. Here are the latest spinning in my library on itunes as I write: Vigilantes of Love, Sufjan Stevens, Death Cab for Cutie, Jose Gonzalez (HT Kevin Cawley of Cawleyblog.com), Without Gravity, Derek Webb (Mockingbird), Cocteau Twins; but the pick of the crop right now is Matisyahu, "King Without a Crown." If you haven't heard this, you MUST check it out. Imagine an Orthodox Jew running his religious expectations and praxis thru a musical grid of 311 or The Clash...not sure why he can get on MTV2 when Xian artists as explicit cannot, but I'm all for it nonetheless. Wikipedia has him down as a Hassidic reggae artist, but I'm not sure reggae quite captures it as the sound is to aggressive for my definition of reggae.

Its use for biblical studies should be clear after a listen--Matisyahu has a nice way of putting you in ca. 1c context of messianic expectation and Jewish devotion to YHWH, Torah, etc., combined with some religious instruction for doubters. But the music really makes it worth listening to in any case. Note the connection wikipedia makes between his name and the name of the father of Judas Maccabee...

1 Comments:

Blogger Bill Victor said...

Sufjan and Death Cab are definitely high on my lists. Wilco rates high as well.

4:45 PM, April 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home