Monday, April 24, 2006

Paul Pop Quiz Answer

Thanks to those who posed answers. I'm sure Paul did indeed teach a cluster of truths "everywhere--in all the churches." But the specific quote I had in mind is found in 1 Corinthians 4:17, which I think is the only place where Paul explicitly says something like, "I taught ____ everywhere in every church."

I'm tempted to think NIV is a tad underwhelming here in its last segment, and lacks the emphasis of the Greek: "Therefore I urge you to imitate me. For this reason I am sending to you Timothy, my son whom I love, who is faithful in the Lord. He will remind you of my way of life in Christ Jesus, which agrees with what I teach everywhere in every church. " Timothy isn't just going to remind them of things that "agree with" what Paul teaches; he is going to remind them of precisely what Paul taught them in word and deed, which they are failing: they were failing to live a Cross-shaped life (suing one another, privileging personal pleasure, ignoring the poor at the Lord's dinner).

Paul gives his "Spiritual C. V." in a variety of ways in the Corinthian correspondence, but in particular there are five places which emphasize his cross-shaped way of life: 1 Cor 4:8-17; 9; (2:2-5 is also a possibility); 2 Cor 4:7-18; 6:3-10; 11:19-33. This is how Paul lived when with them, it's how he lived in front of all churches at all time, and it's the content he taught them: Cross as benefit, and Cross as way of life. (Is there a connection with e.g., Mark 8:34-38?)

The implications for a truly "Pauline" ministry are startling.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your blog. I paarticularly liked this post, since I plan for my dissertation to somehow deal with Paul's concept of "cruciform living" in light of his Jewish background. It probably will be some sort of endeavor comparing this concept of Paul's with Diaspora Jewish ethics (the precise range and selection yet to be determined), then weighing in a bit on the implications in light of the NPP. Something like that....
In case you are curious (or not), I am a fellow New Testament PhD at Loyola University Chicago. I would welcome any correspondence concerning all things New Testament (and related issues), music, or experiences as a NT PhD....

Thanks again,
Kyle Fever

12:53 AM, May 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, yes...my email: kfever@luc.edu

Thanks again.

2:18 PM, May 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home