Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Matthew resources on-line, part 3: Forthcoming commentaries

Thanks to Parablemen (would that be Parablepeople when they add a woman to the mix?) for their work on forthcomign commentaries. There's no "Matthew page" so I took the liberty of compiling from http://parablemania.ektopos.com/archives/2005/08/forthcoming_com.html. This stuff does change--the NICNT has had four people contracted; the first three died--but here's a good idea of what's about to be out there on Matthew. (Begin budgeting now!) I've included some comments as many of these are by famous folks.

I'll put the three most interesting first:
Pride of place has to go to Stanley Hauerwas, doing the Matthew commentary in the intriguing Brazos Theological commentary series. This could be the first in a while (not counting Bruner's second edition) to take a strong pacifist/anabaptist view of the SermMt et al. Many commentators, particularly popular works, also ignore much of Matthew's "sacrificial" language of Christian discipleship since so much of this is taken over by Mark--I doubt Uncle Stan will have that problem. Will he write the first-ever commentary on Matthew to drop the f-bomb and use the word 'tit' (Chris Tilling will be excited)?

Equally intriguing is the Jack Dean Kingsbury volume in the Eerdmans Critical Commentary. I don't always agree with his views on structure, and I think the literary revolution in Matt studies he helped usher in can be overblown. But the man really knows Matthew. This should be a treat, and a valuable read. Will the format will send him back to his redaction critical roots?

Richard France (R. T. France) takes the NICNT--as mentioned above, this is the cursed volume that never gets finished. Rumor has it the Eerdmans lunchroom has a dead pool going on this one, lots of cash up for grabs. This gives France yet another major crack at Matthew. His experience should prove valuable--though I'm still miffed he really shafts the genealogy in Matthew: Evangelist and Teacher (though he's not alone--Stanton can write an entire book on Matthew, A Gospel for a New People, while scarcely mentioning the way he opens...this sort of thing if nothing else meant the "narrative" revolution in Matthew scholarship was well-deserved). Will he put the nail in the coffin of the other views of Matt 24-25? Will he finally go all out on the preterist (NTW) view? Will he interact with the narrative move in Matthean studies? Rikki Watts is doing the new volume on Mark in that series, which looks fun.

All three of those are particularly exciting.

In the AB series, Matthew (replacement), John P. Meier -- long-time writer on Matthew, maybe not as good on narrative/literary aspects and use of OT as I'd like.
David L. Turner -- who is likewise maybe not as good on narrative, use of OT as I'd like -- will write for BECNT, which is nothing if not thorough, though Matt's not hurting for such at present. Turner's work, including a fair bit on the first gopsel, seems to represent the covenantal/kingdom turn from old school dispensationalism into a more mainstream evangelical approach. I like his writing. He's also writing the Matt volume in Cornerstone Bib Comm based on the NLT.
Black's NT will give Richard Beaton a crack (good published dissertation on Isaiah in Matt). Should be good, though I don't care for the format at present--I'm willing to change my mind. New Cambridge Bible Comm will have a major heavyweight, Craig A. Evans, though I doubt the format will lend itself to his abilities. Craig is a full-blooded historian so it'll be interesting to see what direction he goes with this. Daniel Doriani who is a sane writer on hermeneutics and preaching, takes on Matt in Reformed Expository Commentary, a series I'm not familiar with. David Graham is doing Two Horizons. Another hermeneutics guru, Grant Osborne, will do what may be the Zondervan Exegetical Commentary. I think D. A. Carson will be revising his EBC contribution, as I've seen him doing Matthew book reviews.

Also, presumably in the next few years we'll see Luz's second edition start trickling into English; I managed a gander at the first volume, second ed. in German at Emory last month.

Let me note in closing that I have my doubts as to whether any of these can dislodge David Garland, Smyth and Helwys, Reading Matthew, as my favorite and top recommendation, particularly for pastors and educated teachers. But I'm willing to listen and read...

4 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy Pierce said...

My co-bloggers don't have anything to do with my posts, and the commentary stuff is entirely my doing.

Thanks for the link, and it's good to hear your forecasts of what these might be like.

5:29 AM, May 18, 2006  
Blogger Michael F. Bird said...

Good stuff Jase.

2:07 PM, May 18, 2006  
Blogger C. Stirling Bartholomew said...

If R. T. France does half as good a job on Matthew as he did with Mark then I will buy it and that is saying a lot since I buy very few commentaries. On the other hand I think my resources on Mark will probably serve me for the duration so Rikki Watts may get a passing look through InterLibLoan ... I read his dissertation long before you other guys did, I think it was in around march or april of '91, it was making the rounds on Mac floppies ...

10:10 PM, May 22, 2006  
Blogger Jeremy Pierce said...

I've got them all organized by book now, so the Matthew ones are collected together. The link is here.

7:52 PM, May 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home