Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Blogging down, but not (yet) out

I've got a fair bit of work on other tasks coming up--an intensive course on reading German (my previous efforts haven't satisfied me, as I'm still lacking a few things when it comes to verbs and syntax in particular--the frustration in having more than 80 or 90 percent of a pargraph by Strecker [or doing research on aliens in German theologians like Chris Tilling] is unbearable...you're still left wondering what you've missed), in honor of the WC 2006--what better way to memorize paradigms than during down-time of a game?; major research/writing projects at work; and wrapping up a chapter of my dissertation.

I've also restrung my guitar for the first time in years, as I've decided life is getting bit stale--all computers and books, no art.

Among other challenges? NotaBene 8.0. I just purchased this two weeks ago and I'm struggling mightily with switching notes and writing from Word. What a pain--but it is nice to troll through one's work slowly. It really helps the editing process. I still can't figure out how you change the spacing, block quotes don't work, I can't search help despite my best efforts--I can but I can't select the page I want; I haven't found umlauts and accents (I copy paste from Word); I can't convert a document to .rtf. I found out how to search the single docuemnt in front of you but now can't seem to repeat the feat. All this makes me long for the simplicity of Word (I never thought that phrase would be typed by me--it's probably a Google hapax legomena), and the "weightier matters of word processing" such as autocorrect and underlines on grammar, spacing, etc. NB also is the slowest program on my computer--it's almost worth it to type in word, then copy paste to NB.

I'm sure it's all worth it in the long run.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris Tilling said...

NotaBene will get better over time. My problem is that it has a tendency to crash a lot, but the footnote programme makes it all worth it for me. Just don't think, 'like Word'. It is great if it is accepted on its own terms.
Have fun with you German!

10:37 AM, May 21, 2006  
Blogger Danny Zacharias said...

JB, here's my suggestion- sell your evil PC and buy a Mac, thus enabling yourself to use Accordance, Mellel, Bookends, and of course Mac OS/X.

I'm sure this doesn't help you at all : )

2:11 PM, May 21, 2006  
Blogger J. B. Hood said...

dz,

you are crazy...i use my father-in-law's mac a fair bit and it's impossible.

ct,

i sippose it's like wives; don't compare the first to the second? Just love and accept on their own terms?

6:04 PM, May 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only learnt Notabene this year and its pretty uphill going.
Did you find umlauts and accents? It's pretty easy. Type the vowel, hit F6, then hit u for umlaut, a for acute, g for grave. If you wait half a second a little table comes up showing what letters to press.
Block indents frustrated me for ever. DO NOT go to a new paragraph. But at the end of the last line, hit shift-enter. When finished hit shift-enter again and you will be on a new line.
Best of luck (and the intergrated reference system does make it all worthwhile)

6:19 PM, May 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home